Sharon’s story

October 2006 and my life was about to change forever. I kissed my children goodbye as they left with their father for a holiday in Corfu. That was the last time I saw Christi and Bobby alive, a day that will haunt me until we are once again together.

They died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas boiler that had not been correctly installed, serviced or maintained. My children died needlessly, due to systemic failings within the travel industry.

Their tragic story is well documented, as is the ‘David v Goliath’ decade long legal battle that ensued. I fought for justice for my children with a passion and determination like only a grieving mother could. Robbed of my children and the following ten years of my life, perseverance came at a personal price, but it has also done so much to raise the profile of the dangers of carbon monoxide and encouraged holiday makers to think more carefully about their safety when travelling abroad.

The Safer Tourism Foundation was born of some very open and frank conversations between myself and the current CEO of Thomas Cook, Peter Fankhauser. We couldn’t change what had happened but together we could be influential in making tourism safer for the future, a lasting legacy for Christi and Bobby.

So I am very proud to be a trustee of the charity and pledge my commitment to ensuring that it will help in educating travellers about the dangers they may face, promoting safer tourism and ensuring that the travel industry is transparent, honest and respectful.

Published on 12/06/18

Bookmark this page