Pack an alarm to stay safe whenever and wherever you travel

Always pack a carbon monoxide alarm whether travelling at home or abroad

Safer Tourism is on a mission to wipe out the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning wherever and whenever you travel.

Whether visiting family or friends or travelling for business or pleasure, packing a carbon monoxide alarm is a must, whenever you are staying away from home. And if you are the host, show your guests that you care by installing carbon monoxide detectors to keep your visitors safe.

A carbon monoxide alarm is the only proven method to detect the presence of poisonous carbon monoxide gas and give you time to take action and seek medical treatment to prevent serious illness and even death.

That is why Safer Tourism Foundation has joined forces with specialist safety equipment retailer Safelincs to provide kitemarked, approved and tested carbon monoxide alarms to travellers, tourists and holidaymakers, at a discounted price.

Safer Tourism launches range of effective, portable carbon monoxide detectors

Alarms are available here. Use discount code SAFETOUR for an additional 10% saving. A donation from the sale of every alarm helps fund Safer Tourism’s work to raise awareness of this deadly gas.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas as you can’t see, hear, smell or taste it. It can be fatal.

It is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, paraffin, charcoal, coal and wood do not burn correctly. So if there are any fuel-burning appliances where you are staying, these must have been installed correctly, are well maintained and are in good working order. Carbon monoxide can also build up when flues, chimneys or vents are blocked, so these also need to be well maintained.

Appliances that can potentially produce carbon monoxide include boilers, cookers, gas fires, water heaters, camping stoves and open fires.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Being away from home and eating different foods can often take some adjusting to. But it’s important not to confuse covid symptoms, food poisoning, dehydration or a hangover with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can feel like flu but without the fever. The six main symptoms are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
If you or anyone with you show signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, or if your detector alarm sounds, you should

  • Go outside into the fresh air immediately.
  • Ask for medical support, and tell whoever treats you that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and ask for a proper diagnosis.
  • Service the appliances. If your tests confirm carbon monoxide poisoning tell the people who are responsible for your accommodation straight away.