Bodyboard like a pro
Safer Tourism has launched a campaign to create awareness of the risks to young bodyboarders.
Anyone – old, young, big, or small – can bodyboard. But every year, 100s of children and young people get into difficulties while bodyboarding and need to be rescued by a lifeguard.
Targeting parents, the campaign calls for mums and dads to:
- Take children to the local pool before going on holiday so you know they are
confident and competent in the water
- Get the right kit and have a lesson from a qualified instructor
- Choose a lifeguarded beach with a swim safe area and always supervise your
- Check the tides so young bodyboarders don’t get stranded or caught in a rip
tide and teach their children what to do if they get caught in a rip tide or fall into cold water
- Always supervise your children
As part of its lifesaving campaign, Safer Tourism created a video in partnership with parenting
blogger, author and illustrator Katie Kirby to target parents of young children.
Working through the RNLI and ROSPA as well as the British Bodyboarding association, the Bodyboard Like a Pro campaign connected with #respectthewater.