Gas (SC)


If there are any gas appliances where you are staying, such as a gas cooker or water heater, make sure you always turn them off when you’re not using them. If the gas comes from a bottle, turn off the supply at the bottle neck when you’re not using it.

Take a couple of minutes to check these out. If there are black marks or stains around the appliance, the flames are a weak orange instead of blue or there is more condensation than there should be it could be faulty and you should report it at once.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is sometimes produced when a gas appliance is faulty. You can't see or smell it but it can be fatal. Signs that you or someone in your party might be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. Don’t confuse these with other holiday sicknesses.

If you smell gas or think there may be a problem open all of the windows and doors and contact the manager of where you are staying immediately. If you are in a villa or house leave the property straightaway. If you are in a room or apartment in a building let the manager know immediately so they can evacuate the building if necessary.

Not all rental properties abroad have carbon monoxide detectors. If you are worried about this you can buy a portable one in the UK or patches which detect carbon monoxide and take these with you. For more on carbon monoxide see our guide.

Published on 07/09/17

Bookmark this page