Gas safety (hotel)

Gas safety

If there are any gas appliances in the room you sleep in, such as a gas water heater or cooker, take a couple of minutes to check out the appliance.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is sometimes produced when a gas appliance is faulty. You can't see or smell it but it can be fatal.

  • If there are black marks or stains around a gas appliance, the flames are orange instead of blue or there is more condensation than there should be it could be faulty and you should report it at once.
  • Always turn off gas appliances when you’re not using them.
  • If you smell gas report it immediately.

The six main signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. Don’t confuse these with other holiday sicknesses and if you have any concerns contact your hotel reception immediately.

Most hotels abroad don’t have carbon monoxide detectors. If you are worried about this you can buy a portable one in the UK or patches which detect carbon monoxide and take these with you. For more on carbon monoxide see our guide.

Published on 07/09/17

Bookmark this page