Safer Tourism supports Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

This week is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week and Safer Tourism is campaigning to help you protect your family from the deadly gas when travelling and on holiday.

Safer Tourism has been working with peer-to-peer rental platforms like Expedia Group’s HomeAway and Airbnb to find out more about how they encourage hosts and landlords to keep guests safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. We want

  • All holiday property landlords to install a carbon monoxide alarm and include safety information about carbon monoxide poisoning in their information folders to raise awareness of this issue
  • We are calling on all listing platforms to reinforce the need for accommodation providers to install carbon monoxide alarms.
  • And for tourists to ask holiday accommodation providers about the carbon monoxide measures in place when making their booking, to raise awareness of the seriousness of this issue with landlords.

Whether travelling for business or pleasure, long haul or local, festival or five-star luxury, the families of people who have died from carbon monoxide poisoning say packing a carbon monoxide alarm is a must, whenever you are staying away from home.

Safer Tourism Foundation has joined forces with specialist safety equipment retailer Safelincs to provide kitemarked, approved and tested carbon monoxide detectors to holidaymakers, at a discounted price.

Alarms are now available here and you can use discount code SAFETOUR for an additional 10% saving.

 

Recognising the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning when away from home

Eating different foods and being in a different climate can often take some adjusting to. But it’s important to pay attention to symptoms that might indicate a serious problem. Carbon monoxide poisoning can feel like flu, but without the fever and the six main symptoms are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

 

Dealing with carbon monoxide poisoning

If you or anyone with you start to show signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, or if your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, you should

  • Go outside in the fresh air immediately
  • Ask for medical support, telling whoever treats you that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and ask for a proper diagnosis.
  • Service the appliances. If your tests confirm carbon monoxide poisoning, tell the people who are responsible for your accommodation immediately so they can carry out the necessary repairs and testing.

 

Published on 18/11/19

Bookmark this page